Explosives and fireworks

Fireworks and explosives can cause serious injury or death if not handled properly.

If you make, buy, store, transport or discharge fireworks or explosives you will, in most cases, need a licence.

The Explosives Act 2003 and Explosives Regulation 2013, a range of Australian standards and codes, and a licensing and notification system work together to regulate explosives, certain security sensitive dangerous substances and fireworks.

There is a list of authorised explosives and categories of prohibited explosives in NSW. If what you're looking for is not in this list, please call the explosives team on 13 10 50.


It is illegal to buy, possess or discharge fireworks unless you hold a pyrotechnicians or single use licence. We must be notified of all fireworks displays, authorised events can be found using our fireworks display search.


Back to top