Plant design registration
The design of certain types of plant must be registered with us or a corresponding work health and safety regulator. Each design of these types of plant must be registered by the designer or a person with management or control of the item of plant.
Plant that must have its design registered includes:
- vehicle hoists
- amusement devices covered by section 2.1 of AS 3533.1:2009, with some exceptions.
- building maintenance units
- concrete placing booms
- prefabricated scaffolding
- mast climbing work platforms
- work boxes suspended from cranes
- boom type elevating work platforms
- lifts, escalators and moving walkways
- mobile cranes with a rated capacity of greater than 10 tonnes
- tower crane including self erecting tower cranes
- boilers and pressure vessels with a hazard level of A, B, C or D
- hoists with platform movement of more than 2.4 metres designed to lift people
- passenger ropeways
- gantry cranes with a safe working load greater than five tonnes or bridge cranes with a safe working load of greater than 10 tonnes, and any gantry crane or bridge crane which is designed to handle molten metal or schedule 11 hazardous chemicals.
However, the plant sub types listed below are excluded:
- plant designed before design registration was required for the type of plant, see Guide for applicants for plant design registration for further details
- a heritage boiler
- a crane or hoist that is manually powered
- an elevating work platform that is a scissor lift or vertically moving platform
- a tow truck
- excluded amusement devices, see Guide for applicants for plant design registration for further details.
Requirements for registering a plant design
Replacing a plant registration document
Complete the application form to replace a plant item or design registration if you need to replace a plant item or design registration document (certificate) that has been lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed.
Requesting a search for plant registration records
Complete the application form to search for a registered plant item or design records held by us.
You must be the owner of the plant design or item(s) to be searched or provide a letter of authorisation from the owner of the plant design or items(s) and attach it to the application.
Registering a design alteration
The design registration number applies only to the design described in the application for design registration. If the plant is altered, or the design is altered for manufacture of a new item of plant, the altered design must be re-registered with us using the form to register a plant design.
Loding completed forms
All completed forms can be sent to us by:
- email to: firstname.lastname@example.org (credit card payments only)
- post to: Licensing, SafeWork NSW, Locked Bag 2906, Lisarow NSW 2252
Ensure you read the form instructions and lodge any required supporting documentation with your application.