Import and export of explosives

A licence to import explosives and/or security sensitive dangerous substances authorises you to purchase, import, store, supply and if approved, export those substances. 

This licence can be issued to you, or a nominated person on behalf of a company.

This licence to import does not authorise transportation of explosives and/or security sensitive dangerous substances. To transport explosives and/or security sensitive substances you must obtain a separate licence.


To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • be over 18 years old
  • hold a current security clearance (previously called an unsupervised handling licence (UHL)) and be able to ensure only people with this clearance have unsupervised access.
  • have a legitimate reason for importing security sensitive dangerous substances
  • have made adequate arrangements for the safe and secure handling and storage of explosives and/or security sensitive dangerous substances.

Application process

First complete the application to import and export explosives.

Then take the completed application form to an Australia Post office along with:

For more information see our guide to applying to import and export explosives or call 13 10 50.

You should also review the dangerous goods notification requirements and if required lodge the following with us:

All application fees are in our list of fees and charges.

Notification of importation or export of explosives

We must be notified at least five working days before any explosives and / or security sensitive dangerous substances are imported or exported.

Complete the notification application form and send it to us by:

  • email to: (credit card payments only)
  • post to: Customer Service Operations, SafeWork NSW, Locked Bag 2906, Lisarow NSW 2252.

Special requirements

Person responsible for the licence

Companies must nominate a person, involved in the management of the company, to be responsible for the licence. If the nominated person ceases to be the nominated person for that licence, for example if they resign, the company must nominate another person to take responsibility for the licence within seven days.

Security plans

You must submit a security plan (including a site plan and schedule) to ensure all explosives and/or security sensitive dangerous substances are held safely and securely.

More detailed information and a suggested template for completing a security plan is available in our guide.

Obligations or duties

You must advise us within 14 days of any changes to your licence or contact details, as well as any changes to the type, quantity and location of explosives or security sensitive ammonium nitrate.

We may suspend or cancel licences or impose penalties on licence holders who do not comply with the conditions of the licence or the requirements of the legislation.

Back to top