Building a health & safety culture
Here we show you how to make a healthy, safe and productive workplace part of your 'business as usual'.
A productive, healthy and safe workplace shows that everyone shares common values that make worker health and safety a priority. It means that everyone anticipates unsafe acts and corrects them before harm is done. It demonstrates that injury and prevention is a priority and everyone takes ownership of health and safety issues.
‘What we’re trying to do is to create an environment where we don’t have to think about it too much, so it’s just seamless and it becomes second nature to talk about things that relate to their health and safety.’
Once you have established the basics of a safe workplace, keep safety at the forefront of everyone’s mind by:
- training and supervising your workers, and monitoring their safety
- reviewing and continually improving consultation procedures
- establishing an accredited work health and safety management system
- introducing specific health-related programs
- joining our mentoring program.
‘Spending a little bit of time with another business to see how they do things is a far greater benefit than trying to come up with the solution yourself.’
Program Manager, OceanWatch Australia Ltd