This licence authorises you to store explosives and/or security sensitive dangerous substances.
The licence to store explosives and/or security sensitive dangerous substances allows you to purchase, possess and store these substances.
You can only purchase and store the explosives and/or security sensitive dangerous substances specified in the licence.
This licence can be issued to you, or a nominated person on behalf of a company.
To be eligible for this licence you must:
- be at least 18 years old
- hold a current security clearance (previously called an unsupervised handling licence (UHL)) and be able to ensure only people with this clearance have unsupervised access
- have a legitimate reason for storing security sensitive dangerous substances
- have made adequate arrangements for the safe and secure handling and storage of explosives and/or security sensitive dangerous substances
First complete the application to store explosives.
Then take the completed application form to an Australia Post office along with:
- a completed security clearance application form or your current security clearance and a copy of it (or UHL)
- a completed criminal history check form if you do not hold a current security clearance (or UHL).
- 100 points of ID (originals only)
- a security plan
- details of any explosives licences held by the applicant or nominated person
- details of any relevant qualifications
- an employer reference or a statement of experience for the nominated person
All application fees are in our list of fees and charges.
You should also review the dangerous goods notification requirements and if needed lodge the following with us:
- notification of dangerous goods on premises form
- a photocopy of street directory map or other map showing site location (if applying for storage).
For more information see our guide to applying to store explosives or call 13 10 50.
Person responsible for the licence
Companies must nominate a person, involved in the management of the company, to be responsible for the licence. If the nominated person ceases to be the nominated person for that licence, for example if they resign, the company must nominate another person to take responsibility for the licence within seven days.
You must submit a security plan (including a site plan and schedule) to ensure all explosives and/or security sensitive dangerous substances are held safely and securely.
Obligations or duties
You must advise us within 14 days of any changes to your licence or contact details, as well as any changes to the type, quantity and location of explosives or security sensitive dangerous substances.
We may suspend or cancel a licence or impose penalties on licence holders who do not comply with the conditions of the licence or requirements in the legislation.