Asbestos can be deadly if not dealt with correctly and you will generally always need to notify us when you are removing asbestos, or managing asbestos on a worksite.
Notification of asbestos removal work
You must notify us five working days before licensed asbestos removal work is commenced.
Asbestos removalists licensed in NSW can lodge the notification electronically using our asbestos and demolition online notification system or complete the notification form.
Interstate asbestos removalists operating in NSW must also notify us, by completing the notification form.
Notification of respirable asbestos fibre levels at more than 0.02 fibres/ml
You must immediately notify us when the respirable asbestos fibre levels exceeds 0.02 fibres/ml in the removal area.
NSW licensed absestos removalists and interstate asbestos removalists who hold an asbestos removal licence issued under a work health and safety regulation must lodge the notification by completing the notification form.
Our safety inspectors can issue on the spot fines to any individual or business that appoints an unlicensed asbestos removalist, and to licensed asbestos removalists who fail to notify SafeWork of licensed asbestos removal work.
Emergency demolition of a structure or plant involving asbestos
You must notify us of the demolition or refurbishment of a structure or plant:
- that was constructed or installed before 31 December 2003
- is located in either a workplace or a residential premises where an emergency has occurred
- the structure or plant must be demolished
- asbestos is fixed or installed in the structure or plant before the emergency has occurred
Demolition or refurbishment does not include minor or routine maintenance work or other minor work.
An emergency occurs if:
- a structure or plant is structurally unsound
- collapse of the structure or plant is imminent.
The person with management or control of the workplace or, if in residential premises the licensed asbestos removalist, must notify us by completing the emergency notification form.
Completed notification forms can be lodged by:
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- post: Asbestos and Demolition Unit, SafeWork NSW, PO BOX 1291, Liverpool NSW 1871
All asbestos notifications are free.
Hotline and other information
The asbestos and demolition hotline number is 1800 672 718.
More information about asbestos notifications is available in from the our Asbestos guide or by calling 13 10 50.