Blasting explosives user licence
The blasting explosives user licence authorises you to purchase, use and dispose of explosives and/or security sensitive dangerous substances, as well as store them if authorised.
The blasting explosives user licence allows you to purchase, possess, use, dispose and if approved, store explosives and/or security sensitive dangerous substances.
To be eligible for this licence you must:
- be at least 18 years of age
- hold a current security clearance (previously called an unsupervised handling licence (UHL)
- have the necessary qualifications, experience and knowledge (the details are in our guide for blasting explosive user licence applicants)
- have no medical condition or impairment such as colour blindness, deafness or epilepsy
- have a legitimate reason for using explosives and/or security sensitive dangerous substances.
First complete the blasting explosives user application form.
Then take the completed application form to an Australia Post office along with:
- if applying for a civil class certified copies of qualifications issued by a recognised institution and a reference from a licence holder stating the applicant has experience in the class being applied for; if applying for a mining class, a letter from Planning & Environment - Resources & Energy endorsing the class being applied for must accompany the application
- if applying for mutual recognition a certified copy of front and back of interstate explosive licence
- a medical report stating that the applicant does not have any physical or medical impairment that would affect their ability to perform the duties of a blasting explosive user. The statement/report must not be dated more than six months before the date of the application form
- 100 points of ID (originals only)
- a photocopy of a street directory map or other map with site location (if applying for storage)
- site security plan (if applying for storage)
All application fees are listed in or list of fees and charges.
Amending a blasting explosive user licence
Complete the amend a blasting explosive user licence form to add classes or change the approval on your licence.
Replace a blasting explosive user licence
Obligations or duties
Blasting explosives user licence (BEUL) holders must notify us at least seven working days prior to using explosives (exceptions apply).
A blasting explosive user licence holder must not allow people to have unsupervised access to explosives or security sensitive dangerous substances unless they hold a valid security clearance.
We may suspend or cancel a licence or impose penalties on licence holders who do not comply with the conditions of the licence or requirements in the legislation.
You must advise us within 14 days of any changes to your licence details.
You must submit a security plan (including a site plan and schedule) to ensure all explosives and/or security sensitive dangerous substances are held safely and securely.
More detailed information and a suggested template for completing a security plan is available in our guide.