Blasting explosives user licence

The blasting explosives user licence authorises you to purchase, use and dispose of explosives and/or security sensitive dangerous substances, as well as store them if authorised.


To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • be at least 18 years of age
  • hold a current security clearance (previously called an unsupervised handling licence (UHL)
  • have the necessary qualifications, experience and knowledge (the details are in our guide for blasting explosive user licence applicants)
  • have no medical condition or impairment such as colour blindness, deafness or epilepsy
  • have a legitimate reason for using explosives and/or security sensitive dangerous substances.

Application process

First complete the blasting explosives user application form.

Then take the completed application form to an Australia Post office along with:

  • if applying for a civil class certified copies of qualifications issued by a recognised institution and a reference from a licence holder stating the applicant has experience in the class being applied for;
  • if applying for mutual recognition a certified copy of front and back of interstate explosive licence
  • a medical report stating that the applicant does not have any physical or medical impairment that would affect their ability to perform the duties of a blasting explosive user. The statement/report must not be dated more than six months before the date of the application form
  • 100 points of ID (originals only)
  • a photocopy of a street directory map or other map with site location (if applying for storage)
  • site security plan (if applying for storage)

All application fees are listed in or list of fees and charges.

Read the Guide for blasting explosives user licence applicants

Amending a blasting explosive user licence

Complete the amend a blasting explosive user licence form to add classes or change the approval on your licence.

Replace a blasting explosive user licence

Complete the replace an explosives, pyrotechnicians or blasting licence, or your security clearance application form.

Obligations or duties

Blasting explosives user licence (BEUL) holders must notify us at least seven working days prior to using explosives (exceptions apply).

A blasting explosive user licence holder must not allow people to have unsupervised access to explosives or security sensitive dangerous substances unless they hold a valid security clearance.

We may suspend or cancel a licence or impose penalties on licence holders who do not comply with the conditions of the licence or requirements in the legislation.

You must advise us within 14 days of any changes to your licence details.

Security plans

You must submit a security plan (including a site plan and schedule) to ensure all explosives and/or security sensitive dangerous substances are held safely and securely.

More information and a suggested template for completing a security plan is available in the Security plan for storage and handling of explosives and or security sensitive dangerous substances.

Back to top