Employer and business obligations

Employers or businesses, or anyone who falls under the definition of a ‘person conducting a business or undertaking’ (a PCBU), has legal obligations under work health and safety laws.

A ‘person conducting a business or undertaking’ is a broad term used throughout work health and safety legislation to describe all forms of modern working arrangements, which we commonly refer to as businesses.

We have prepared information to explain work health and safety and workers compensation legislation so you can understand your ongoing responsibilities in the workplace. This information will assist you to be compliant under the legislation.

Sign on a concrete tank stating Danger: Solvent fumes may be present
Managing hazards and risks

Employers must manage and control hazards and risks in the workplace.

Find out more

Directors and officers

If you are a director or officer of a corporation or business you have obligations under NSW health and safety laws.

Find out more

Due diligence

The review of your programs and your health and safety knowledge forms part of your due diligence.

Find out more

Primary duty of care

Employers and other PCBUs have a primary duty of care for workers.

Find out more

Duty to consult

You are obliged to consult workers about health and safety.

Find out more

Register of injuries

You must keep a register of all injuries.

Find out more

Injuries at work

Under WHS law, workers injured at work need to be supported by the business.

Find out more

Return to work programs

You must have a return to work program within 12 months of starting your business.

Find out more
Back to top