Train workers for their specific tasks
It's important that your workers have supervised, hands-on training in the tasks they'll perform — before they start a job.
Specifically, you need to make sure workers are trained in how to do the following:
- perform tasks safely
- operate machines and equipment safely
- use and maintain any personal protective equipment (PPE)
- follow safe work procedures.
When training new workers, here's a general procedure you can follow:
- Provide an overview of each task, including if there are any safety precautions and safe work procedures.
- Demonstrate and describe the task, going through the steps slowly.
- Observe the worker on the job and check their progress.