What you can do

Where possible, try to resolve the situation within your workplace.

You can begin this process by following these steps:

  • checking if your workplace has an anti-bullying policy and reporting procedure and following it
  • if you feel safe and comfortable, telling the other person that you object to their behaviour and asking that it stop
  • talking to someone, eg your supervisor, manager, health and safety representative (HSR) or union representative, about what you are experiencing and what you can do about it.

Who to contact

If you don’t feel comfortable talking to anyone in your workplace, or if discussions break down, there are people and organisations who can support and advise you.

If you need emotional support

The following services offer phone and online support:

  • Lifeline on 13 11 14 – 24-hour counselling service providing emotional support in times of crisis
  • Beyond blue on 1300 22 4636 for mental health support and advice
  • Mental Health Line on 1800 011 511 – 24-hour support service across NSW that can connect you with a mental health professional
  • Headspace – a national youth mental health foundation that helps young people between 12 and 25 who are going through a tough time – call them on 1800 650 890 or via email or instant chat at https://www.eheadspace.org.au/.

If you need advice on your rights at work

Contact the Fair Work Ombudsman if the issue is about:

  • not being paid the right amount
  • being forced to do things against your will
  • being discriminated against
  • not getting the right amount of leave or other employment conditions
  • being threatened by your employer
  • a fraudulent contract.

If you need advice on unfair dismissal

Contact the Fair Work Commission if the issue is about unfair dismissal or unlawful termination.

Violence or threats of violence

If the issue involves verbal assault, sexual intimidation or assault, threats or physical violence contact NSW police immediately. If there is an injury or the incident is serious notify SafeWork on 13 10 50 and your insurer within 48 hours.

A stop bullying order

If you believe you have been bullied at work, you may be eligible to apply to the Fair Work Commission for an order to stop the bullying. Fair work commission is not available to public servants.

Back to top