Plant design registration
You may need to register the design of some types of plant because that plant has the potential to be dangerous.
Plant that might need the design registered include:
- vehicle hoists
- amusement devices covered by section 2.1 of AS 3533.1:2009, with some exceptions.
- building maintenance units
- concrete placing booms
- prefabricated scaffolding
- mast climbing work platforms
- work boxes suspended from cranes
- boom type elevating work platforms
- lifts, escalators and moving walkways
- mobile cranes with a rated capacity of greater than 10 tonnes
- tower crane including self erecting town cranes
- boilers and pressure vessels with a hazard level of A, B, C or D
- hoists with platform movement of more than 2.4 metres designed to lift people
- passenger ropeways
- gantry cranes with a safe working load greater than five tonnes or bridge cranes with a safe working load of greater than 10 tonnes, and any gantry crane or bridge crane which is designed to handle molten metal or schedule 11 hazardous chemicals.
Plant design that does not require registration includes:
- a heritage boiler
- a crane or hoist that is manually powered
- an elevating work platform that is a scissor lift or vertically moving platform
- a tow truck
More information about registration of plant is contained in the plant registration guide.
Applicable fees are all in our list of fees and charges.
Applying for a design registration number
Complete the registration of plant design form to obtain a design registration number.
Replacing a registration document
Complete the application form to replace a plant item or design registration if you need to replace a plant item or design registration document (certificate) that has been lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed.
Requesting a search for records
Complete the application form to search for a registered plant item or design records held by us.
You must be the owner of the plant design or item(s) to be searched or provide a letter of authorisation from the owner of the plant design or items(s) and attach it to the application.
Registering a design alteration
The design registration number applies only to the design described in the application for design registration. If the plant is altered, the altered design must be re registered with us using the form to register a plant design (unless it as been registered with another work health and safety regulator).
Lodging completed forms
All completed forms can be sent to us by:
- post to: Operations, SafeWork NSW, Locked Bag 2906, Lisarow NSW 2252, or
- email to: firstname.lastname@example.org (credit card payments only).
Ensure you read the form instructions and lodge any required supporting documentation with your application.