Protecting workers from the risk of falls
Effective 1 November 2017, we introduced new on-the-spot fines for employers not protecting their workers from the risk of falling from heights.
- use a suitable working platform and, wherever possible, undertake the work from the ground
- use edge protection, such as scaffolding or guardrails ensure all scaffolds are checked by a competent person and handover certificate is provided before using
securely cover open penetrations, or use physical barriers
- have a safe means of access and egress to all relevant areas of the worksite only use fall restraints and fall arrest systems when other higher order controls are not reasonably practicable
- establish and test emergency procedures for fall restraint/arrest systems
- only use ladders for access and egress, or for short term work when controls such as working platforms and scaffolds are not practical
- give your workers relevant equipment, information, training and instruction to work safely at heights.