6 ways to stay safe
Unsafe storage or improper handling of hazardous chemicals is like playing with fire.
Store and handle chemicals properly at all times.
Often the risk has never occurred to them because it’s how they’ve always done it or been told how to do it. And unfortunately it’s often only when an accident does occur that the penny drops.
SafeWork Assistant State Inspector
- Make sure chemicals delivered to your workplace are clearly labelled.
- Make sure workers understand safety data sheet and labels.
- Make a list of all your hazardous chemicals – and always keep it up to date.
- Isolate hazardous chemicals from the rest of the workplace, restrict access to dangerous areas, and use exhaust ventilation for fumes.
- Develop an emergency plan and provide appropriate personal protective equipment.