Plant item registration

Plant that has a higher level of risk of harm associated with its operation, use or maintenance must be registered with us by the owner, lessee or controller of the plant.

Types of plant that must be registered include:

  • tower cranes including self erecting tower cranes
  • mobile cranes with a safe working load of more than 10 tonnes
  • concrete placement units with delivery booms
  • lifts, escalators and moving walkways
  • building maintenance units
  • boilers with a hazard level of A, B or C
  • pressure vessels with hazard level of A, B, or C (except LP gas fuel vessels for automotive use; serially produced pressure vessels; or pressure vessels that do not require periodic internal inspection)
  • amusement devices covered by Section 2.1 of Australian Standard (AS) 3533.1:2009

Requirements for registering a plant item

To register an item of plant complete the form to register an item of plant and pay the applicable fee.

Item registration of plant is continuing until 1 January 2020 as if under the former Occupational Health and Safety Regulation 2001, except for passenger ropeways and water slides which are not registrable under Work Health and Safety (WHS) laws.

For item registration of mining specific plant, contact the Department of Trade & Investment (DTI).

This means that some items of plant listed in Part 2 of Schedule 5 of the WHS Regulation 2017 will not require item registration until 1 January 2020. These include”

  • Non powered amusement devices,
  • Hazard Level C pressure vessels that are listed in Australian Standard AS 4343 as not requiring routine internal inspections, and
  • Fixed concrete placing booms (tower booms)

Persons taking these items of plant into another state or territory should check whether item registration is required.

Additional requirements for amusement devices

There are additional requirements when registering an amusement device.

To register an amusement device you must complete the form to register an item of plant, pay the applicable fee and also submit:

Renewal of plant item registration

Registration of individual plant items must still be renewed annually. We will send a renewal notice to the last person or company that registered it.

Due to the late posting of renewal letters for January & February 2018 renewals, SafeWork NSW is extending the expiry date of the item registration of these items of plant by 60 calendar days.

This is a one off extension of the expiry date. The item will be due for renewal in 12 months from the original expiry date

Renewal notices are being accompanied by a letter to be used as proof of the plant’s item registration extension. Please keep the letter, or a copy of this page, with your records until the plant’s item registration is renewed.

Replacing a plant registration document

Complete the application form to replace a plant item or design registration if you need to replace a plant item or design registration document (certificate) that has been lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed.

Requesting a search for plant registration records

Complete the application form to search for a registered plant item or design records held by us.

You must be the owner of the plant design or item(s) to be searched or provide a letter of authorisation from the owner of the plant design or items(s) and attach it to the application.

Change of plant ownership/control or relocation of fixed plant

If you change the location of a usually fixed item of plant or if you buy an item of plant or assume control from someone who had it registered you must notify us within 14 days by completing the notification form to relocate or change the ownership of registered plant.

You must also provide a statement that the plant has been inspected by a competent person and is safe to operate.

Lodging completed forms

All completed forms can be sent to us by:

Ensure you read the form instructions and lodge any required supporting documentation with your application.

Back to top