High risk work RTOs

Only Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) listed on the National Register of Vocational Education and Training (VET), and that have also entered into an agreement with us, can deliver training and conduct assessments for high risk work (HRW) licences in NSW.

Approval to conduct training in NSW

To gain approval, the RTO must apply to us and sign an agreement that requires the RTO to comply with our administrative and delivery requirements, including our code of conduct.

The application fee is shown in our list of fees and charges.

To apply the RTO must:

You then need to send the signed agreement and a completed application to conduct a high risk work licence assessment (that includes the accredited assessors who will deliver the assessment services) to us for approval.

All RTOs and accredited assessors must comply with our conditions for conducting assessments.

Change of Authorised Officer or RTO contact details

Complete the application form to change authorised officer or RTO contact details.

Changes to RTO-authorised officers, address and contact details must be notified to us within 14 days.

Change a unit of competency

Complete the application form to change the accredited assessor or the unit of competency.

We are unable to process licence applications if the RTO has not gained approval to nominate the assessor, or if the assessor does not hold currency of accreditation. We must be notified within 14 days if the nominated assessors have ceased to assess on behalf of the RTO.

Become an assessor for high risk work licences

Assessors accredited by us can conduct HRW licence assessments on behalf of the RTO.

Complete the application form in our guide for accreditation of assessors for HRW licences. Eligibility requirements are in the guide.

Once accredited by us, assessors must affiliate with an RTO to conduct assessments for, or on behalf of, that RTO.

Change of assessor details

Changes to accredited assessor details must be notified to us in writing within 14 days.

Further information

Training and assessment must be conducted in accordance with the Work Health and Safety Regulation 2011.

The WHS Regulation sets out:

  • the training and assessment requirements for a person performing high risk work, and
  • the arrangements for issuing a licence to a person performing high risk work.

Contact our Customer Service Centre on 13 10 50 or email thirdparty@safework.nsw.gov.au for more information.