High risk work licences

A high risk work licence is required for certain types of work. This includes, scaffolding, dogging and rigging and operating cranes, hoists, reach stackers, forklifts and pressure equipment.

Must do’s

There are specific laws about doing high risk work safely. Here we summarise those laws and give you some practical tips.

There are also general work health and safety laws that will apply to you in any situation, including when doing high risk work.

Get a licence

You must hold a licence to do high risk work.  Check out which licence you need.

High risk work licences are valid for five years in all Australian states and territories. You must also keep your licence available for inspection.

Find a trainer

Only registered training organisations (RTOs) that are listed on the National Register of Vocational Education and Training (VET) – and that have entered into an agreement with us – can deliver training and conduct assessments for high risk work licences in NSW.

Find a trainer in your area.

Direct supervision and evidence of licences

You must ensure direct supervision of your workers, unless the nature or circumstances of a particular task make direct supervision impracticable or unnecessary, and the reduced level of supervision will not place the health or safety of the supervised worker or anyone else at risk. You must see written evidence from the worker that they have the relevant high risk work licence for that work.


Replace your licence

Your licence can be replaced online by credit card payment, but only if your details have not changed. You will need to ensure you enter the exact details as on your card record.

If your details have changed you can provide us with written advice of your new details by completing the licence enquiry form - we will advise you when you can proceed with an online replacement

Or, complete the application to replace a high risk work licence form and lodge by:

  • post to SafeWork NSW, Locked Bag 2906, Lisarow NSW 2252
  • email to licensing@safework.nsw.gov.au (credit card payments only)

Renew your licence

We will send your renewal form two months before your licence is due to expire. Complete the form and lodge it at an Australia Post office. If you have not received your renewal notice or need any assistance, contact us on 13 10 50.

The fees for replacing and renewing a licence can be found in our fees schedule.

Change your details

To change your address or contact details only, complete our licence enquiry form.

If you have changed your name or other details, complete the change of details form and send it by:

  • post to SafeWork NSW, Locked Bag 2906, Lisarow NSW 2252
  • email to licensing@safework.nsw.gov.au

Related Content


Contact Us

13 10 50