Provincial Homes Pty Ltd
On 19 May 2017 a first-year apprentice was seriously injured after falling through an uncovered stair void while nailing trusses to the top plate of the wall frame on the first floor of a residential building construction.
Provincial Homes Pty Ltd contravened section 19(1) and 32 of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011.
Summary of undertaking
Activities Provincial Homes Pty Ltd will undertake include:
- Introduction of a training and education program for all Provincial Homes Pty Ltd stakeholders
- New Safety Manager role and senior management WHS training
- Introduction of a cloud-based system for all Provincial Homes Pty Ltd stakeholders to record their education and training
- Construction industry ladder safety awareness campaign
- Sponsorship of industry safety awards for apprentices and supervisors
- Community ladder safety awareness campaign
This undertaking has a total expenditure of $381,946.
Reasons for accepting the undertaking
- The alleged contravention does not appear to be a section 31 Reckless conduct category 1 offence, which if it was the case, would preclude the proposed undertaking from being accepted
- The nature of the alleged contravention and the actions taken by Provincial Homes Pty Ltd in response to the incident are assessed as being appropriate for consideration of an undertaking
- The strategies proposed in the undertaking have been assessed as likely to deliver long term sustainable safety improvements in the workplace, industry and community
- The undertaking addresses the requirements contained within the “Enforceable Undertakings – Guidelines for Proposing a WHS Undertaking”.
19 August 2020