Check a licence
Businesses and employers should regularly check workers' licences to ensure the licence is valid.
You should check that the licence:
- has not expired
- includes the relevant classes
- has the correct photo and name of the worker
Workers need a licence to:
- remove or assess asbestos
- carry out construction work
- carry out high risk work, like operating cranes, forklifts and erecting scaffolding
- work with explosives and fireworks
Workers must have their high risk work licence available for inspection.
Industry issued competency cards
There have been a number of competency cards issued within industry that display SafeWork NSW licence numbers. These cards are not issued or endorsed by SafeWork NSW and therefore cannot be considered reliable evidence of a workers licence.
You can quickly check the validity of a licence by calling us on 13 10 50 or by email.