Raise awareness and educate
Increasing knowledge of mental health and mental ill-health is an important early step to improving mental health in your workplace. You can learn about how common mental ill-health is, factors that can cause it, and simple steps you and your colleagues can take to stay well at work.
Education and training to improve understanding about mental health at work can also:
- improve attitudes and language about mental health, and reduce stigma
- increase confidence, readiness and skills to support others
- encourage people to seek help early and access support services
- pave the way for people to participate in wellbeing activities that help prevent mental ill-health
- provide people with the skills to proactively take care of their own mental health.
Increase mental health knowledge
Nearly 1 in 6 Australian workers are experiencing mental ill-health1 now
In workplaces where people understand mental ill-health one can more easily recognise early signs, and respond if one of their colleagues needs support.
You can improve your knowledge and raise awareness by:
- learning skills to help you stay well at work - here are tips from Heads Up, SuperFriend and on eHealth pathways
- watching a video where someone shares their lived experience of mental illness and recovery
- learning how to have a conversation with someone you're concerned about from R U OK? and Heads Up
- looking online or finding out from your workplace about available mental health training, support services, tools and resources.
See how mental health training has increased supportive behaviour at Caterpillar mining.
Learn from others - case studies
Case studies are a great way to learn from the experience of others and see how others are taking action, and how you can take similar steps in your own workplace. Check out case studies now.
- Heads Up - directory of face to face and online education and training programs. They also run workplace webinars and podcasts
- SuperFriend - workplace training programs for managers and workers
- Centre for Rural and Remote Mental Health - events calendar with suicide prevention and mental health training and events available in rural and regional areas
- Safe Work Australia - mental health webinar series.
- UTS & The University of Sydney, Mentally healthy workplaces: a return-on-investment study, 2017