Create your positive and inclusive workplace
The culture of a workplace can be seen in the values and behaviours that workers share and demonstrate1. It can include the shared attitudes and beliefs that form part of the organisation’s written and unwritten rules.
At work, it’s important for everyone to feel comfortable to express who they are, to raise issues or seek support, and be empowered to influence decisions that affect them.
As a worker, you can lead by example and encourage others in your workplace to help create a positive and inclusive culture where everyone feels they part of a community that respects, values and supports them2.
SuperFriend highlights that fostering a culture that focuses on people’s wellbeing has lots of benefits. These include increasing engagement, morale, commitment, work quality and productivity, retention rates, reducing costs and minimising stress 3&4.
Organisations with highly engaged workforces outperform peers with low levels of worker engagement by 20% in productivity3&4.
Read how this Sydney-based construction business creates a positive workplace culture.
Simple ways to create a positive and inclusive workplace culture5
- Smile and greet your peers each day
- Get to know your colleagues and make time for conversation
- Treat people with respect and dignity
- Support people of all abilities and personal circumstances – people bring their whole selves to work, so where ever they are at on the day be there to support them
- Encourage, support and promote diversity, inclusiveness and mental health and wellbeing
- Use inclusive language in verbal and written discussions and resources
- Recognise the efforts and contribution of others
- Build on your strengths and encourage others to also
- Encourage open discussions about mental health at work
- Talk to your manager about flexible work if you think this will help you stay healthy and productive at work.
Lead well: this case study from the Victorian Workplace Mental Wellbeing Collaboration shows how the Australian Red Cross Blood Service champions diversity at work.
- SuperFriend - Great leaders create a culture of care
- Safe Work Australia - Leadership and culture
- The Australian Workplace Barometer,report for Safe Work Australia
- Heads Up - case study: a successful workplace campaign to end stigma
- SuperFriend: Indicators of a thriving workplace report
- Mental Health Commission of Canada - Stigma and discrimination
- NSW Mental Health Commission - NSW findings: National surveys of mental health literacy, stigma and discrimination
- Safe Work Australia website, Leadership and culture, 2018
- Comcare, As one. Working together: Promoting mental health and wellbeing at work, 2014
- SuperFriend, Improving workplace culture, 2018
- Gallup, State of the Global Workplace Report, 2013
- Comcare, Creating mentally healthy workplaces and supporting the ability to work