This safety alert strongly recommends that cheater bars (extension bars) not be used on over-centre load binders, or 'dogs' as they are commonly known.
- Using a cheater bar to tension a dog creates a risk of the bar flicking up and hitting the worker when the tension is released.
- Others in close proximity are in danger of being hit if the worker loses control of the bar.
- The tension on the dog varies according to the length of the bar.
- Consider using something other than an over-centre load binder, such as ratchet straps or turnbuckle binders.
- Don't use cheater bars on dogs.
- Provide information, training and instruction about using load binders safely.