Before you unpack the container
What is the issue?
Unpacking without a plan may lead to an unsystematic, adhoc approach. This can ultimately expose your workers to risks.
How can I manage this?
The risk of injuries arising from the opening of the container can be eliminated or significantly reduced by:
- planning the order in which the items should be removed to avoid remaining items becoming unstable and falling
- determining the number of workers required to safely unpack the container
- determining the appropriate equipment to unpack the load safely. This might include, but is not limited to,plant, conveyors and personal protective equipment (PPE)
- considering the placement of the container, the movement of plant into and out of the container, and the placement of load you are unpacking when outside of the container
- considering risks that may arise during unpacking, and ways to minimise risks by including control measures to either prevent or manage hazards.