Eligible items

How can I make sure my safety item is eligible?

If you are unsure if your safety solution will qualify for a rebate you can:

What isn’t covered?

  • GST, freight and Insurance costs
  • the design and manufacture of new safety items or items that you have had designed and manufactured to your specifications. Items must be existing manufactured items that meet relevant standards and available from commercial outlets
  • purchase of raw materials, for example making shelves from wood, nails, screws
  • service repairs or maintenance eg. engine and motors
  • sponsorship arrangements, including funding of events, educational programs or materials, advertising, or consultants
  • normal business operating expenses, including general business administration, computers, housekeeping, amenities, assets/equipment, repairs, maintenance, servicing
  • normal safety requirements including licensing, certification, fines, testing and auditing services, return-to-work, rehabilitation, counselling or vaccination services
  • training fees or courses – training needs to be reinforced with safety tools eg knowledge of manual handling needs to be supported with the right manual handling equipment or modifications to the work environment in order to have greatest impact on injuries
  • personal protective equipment (PPE) - for the majority of risks, PPE is deemed to be the lowest control, and funds should not subsidise perishable items eg sun creams, disposable gloves, vests, etc. PPE items are not presently covered in current rebate programs
  • non-tangible items - safety solutions need to have a direct impact on safety, and clear eligibility criteria in order to approve and process rebate payments.  Psychosocial items for stress, behavioural issues etc can be subjective and are difficult to assess and measur
  • backdated improvements made prior to attending an eligible SafeWork NSW safety event
  • domestic, recreational or social products or equipment including items for home-based businesses that may be deemed as being used for domestic/household purposes or contributing to the value of residential assets.
  • items and services that are not purchased from a registered business ABN/ACN/BRN and do not meet all relevant standards, approvals, local government and legislative requirements.

What risk does the item need to cover?

There is a wide range of eligible safety equipment available under this program. The safety item needs to address one of the following risks:

  • hazardous manual tasks
  • slips, trips and falls
  • injuries from moving objects
  • chemicals and dangerous goods
  • hazardous noise

Refer to the list of eligible items.

Can I claim for an item I bought, before I attended an event?

No, eligible safety items must be purchased after attending a SafeWork NSW safety event

Can I apply for the rebate before I have the safety item?

No.  You need to have paid for and received the item before applying for the rebate.

Can small businesses apply for more than one safety item?

Yes, eligible businesses can claim for more than one safety solution at the same time but can only apply for this rebate once, irrespective of the number, name, registration or NSW location of individual businesses/ABNs that they own.  The maximum eligible one-off rebate is $500 total per business.

Can I combine rebate amounts to purchase a safety item?

Small businesses cannot combine different rebates (if available) to purchase one safety item.

A supplier cannot split the cost of an individual safety item into multiple invoices to enable different businesses to claim multiple rebates against that one item eg. receiving 3 x $500 against an item that cost $1500.

The rebate is not available for solutions that have already benefited from another SafeWork NSW safety initiative or rebate (ie. duplicate payment for same invoice).

My supplier has ordered my goods and they haven’t arrived, can I still apply?

No, you cannot apply for the rebate unless you have the item in your workplace and it is paid for in full and installation (if needed) is complete.

Does SafeWork NSW recommend any safety suppliers?

SafeWork does not endorse or promote any individual safety product or service, or provide an unfair competitive advantage to any commercial safety item, product or service.

What safety items can home-based businesses claim for?

The rebate does not cover domestic, recreational or social products or equipment. Items for home based businesses that may be used for domestic/household purposes or contribute to the value of residential assets – such as fixtures, are not covered.  A home-based business is a business whose primary office or place of work is in the owner’s residential home.

Can I claim an item not listed on the eligible items list?

No, only the listed items are eligible.  The rebate program seeks to address high risk hazards and is not intended to cover every safety item or solution.  Business owners are obliged to manage all safety risks in their workplace. There are a wide range of safety items covered under this rebate program to help you.

What about items that need to be installed?

Yes. If required by law, installation must be done by a licenced tradesperson, e.g. installation of electrical items must be carried out by a licenced electrical contractor and a Certificate of Compliance – Electrical Work must be provided.

Are improvements to home offices included?

Items for home based businesses, that may be deemed as being used for domestic/household purposes or contribute to the value of assets, are not eligible.

Is the small business rebate available for modifications to make quad bikes safer?

SafeWork NSW’s Small Business Rebate Program covers a wide range of eligible safety items to help small businesses make safety improvements in their workplace.  At present, it does not cover any items relating to quad bikes (only protective devices for tractors) Refer to list of eligible items.

Back to top