Information and training
You must give information and training to your workers and clients that is current, accurate and easy to understand, including information and training about work health and safety, safe sex, sexually transmissible infections (STIs), blood-borne viruses, and first aid. SWOP can assist with information resources.
Training should include:
- information about workplace health and safety measures for all workers including, but not limited to:
- client STI examinations
- safer sex practice
- safe use, cleaning and maintenance of all equipment
- correct technique for B&D and S&M fantasy work (if applicable)
- correct massage techniques (if applicable)
- strategies to avoid hazardous manual tasks
- how to identify potentially dangerous situations and how to protect themselves
- how to react to a fire or other emergency situation
- first aid
- how to react to blood and body substance exposure incidents
- STIs and blood-borne viruses (for example hepatitis B and C, and HIV), vaccinations and counselling
- information for first-aiders, health and safety representatives and other safety professionals.
If your workers have difficulty communicating in English, make sure they are given information in a language they understand. The SWOP and Scarlet Alliance websites provide information in simplified Chinese, Korean and Thai languages.
Read instruction and training for more information.