Engineering controls can include:
- installing sound insulation and noise dampening materials around noisy plant and equipment or to walls, ceilings, floors, doors, windows and other plant to reduce noise bouncing off hard surfaces.
- fitting noise suppressors to machines
- using vibration stabilising pads
- installing sound-proof partial enclosures, barriers, shields, noise cancelling curtains or acoustic baffles
- fit silencers to liquid or air noise sources to reduce flow velocity and turbulence
- line steel trestles and benches, product bins and scrap bins with wear-resistant rubber
- provide quiet rooms for rest breaks that are fully enclosed with well-sealed doors and windows to reduce background noise levels as far as possible