3. Social distancing
Sites should accommodate the government’s health directions and guidance on social distancing wherever practicable (1.5m between persons or 1 person per 4 square metres). Persons, including construction workers, must not participate in a gathering in a public place of more than 2 persons.
To do this, businesses should consider arrangements such as reducing the number of personnel on site at any one time, which might include;
- rescheduling non-essential tasks
- requiring workers not directly involved with building work to work from home
- utilise off site prefabrication where practicable
- do induction and toolbox talks in smaller groups, in larger spaces, or, where practicable, online via FaceTime, Zoom, Skype etc.
- stagger start, finish and break times to reduce the number of workers on site or in any specific location at any one time
- re-arrange or schedule works to reduce number of trades working in any particular area of the site, or on particular tasks.
- reduce unnecessary contact with members of the public, suppliers.
- restrict site access to approved personnel only, which is common practice on construction sites.