Reach stacker licences

To operate a reach stacker with a capacity of more than three tonnes you need a high risk work licence.

A reach stacker incorporates an attachment for lifting, moving and travelling with a shipping container, but does not include a portainer crane.

To operate a reach stacker with a capacity of more than three tonnes in NSW, you will need to hold a high risk work licence in the reach stacker class (RS), or one of the slewing mobile crane classes being C0, C1, C2  or C6.

Before you can apply for a national licence to perform high risk work to operate a reach stacker, a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) must assess your training, skills and knowledge using the relevant national 'assessment instrument' under realistic workplace conditions.

Eligibility criteria

You are eligible to obtain a licence if you:

  • are at least 18 years old
  • complete a recognised training course and have been assessed as competent by a SafeWork NSW accredited assessor working for the RTO
  • can use English at a level that enables the safe performance of high risk work.

Application process

The assessor will have the application forms you need for a new card after you have completed your training. If found competent, you will then take those forms to your nearest Australia Post office as well as 100 points of ID.

You will also need to bring with you a passport sized and quality photo of yourself with your name and date of birth printed on the back, you can read our new application information sheet for more details.

The application fee is outlined in our list of fees and charges.

Replacing a licence

Your high risk work licence can be replaced online or you can post an application form to replace a high risk work licence to us.

Renew a licence

We will mail a renewal form to you two months before your licence is due to expire. You will need to complete the form and lodge it at an Australia Post Office, you can read our renewal information sheet for more details.

If you have not received your renewal notice or need any assistance, please contact on 13 10 50.

High risk work interstate transfers

If you have moved permanently to NSW from another state or territory, you will need to transfer your HRW licence to NSW. It's recommended that you contact us as soon as you have relocated. We'll need to validate your licence details with the issuing authority before you're issued with a NSW HRW licence.

A HRW licence can be transferred from, or into, NSW if the licence is current or within 12 months of expiry. If the licence has expired beyond 12 months, you'll need to be trained and assessed by a registered training organisation and submit a new application.

Back to top