Using prohibited carcinogens and chemicals

There are certain carcinogens and chemicals you can’t use, unless they are used for research or approved by us. Or, in the case of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), you are getting rid of them or using them in existing electrical equipment or construction material.

If you want permission to use a prohibited or restricted carcinogen, fill in this application form.If permission is granted, you need to keep a copy of your authorisation for at least 30 years.

You must give any worker who uses a prohibited or restricted carcinogen a written statement outlining:

  • the name of the carcinogen
  • how long they have been exposed to it
  • where they can get records of possible exposure
  • what health tests are recommended.

You must also keep a record of the names of all those likely to be exposed to these carcinogens, together with their address and date of birth.

Back to top