Unlicensed removal (less than 10sqm non-friable asbestos)
Although unlicensed removal of asbestos is permitted in certain circumstances, we always recommend engaging a licensed asbestos removalist to remove any amount of asbestos.
When can I remove asbestos?
Under the Work Health and Safety Regulations 2017, an employer or self-employed person can conduct a limited amount of asbestos removal work or asbestos related work without a licence involving:
- the removal of non-friable asbestos-containing material if the area of asbestos-containing material to be removed does not exceed 10 square metres in total.
If you do decide to remove less than 10sqm of asbestos yourself then before you start work you must:
- Read and follow the Code of Practice – How to safely remove asbestos
- Be aware and advise any workers of the health risks associated with exposure to asbestos
- Undertake and provide any workers with asbestos awareness training
- Undertake and provide health monitoring to any workers if work with asbestos is likely to be ongoing
If you are not willing or able to commit to any of the above obligations then you should engage a licensed asbestos professional.
See our video section under Resources for important asbestos messages.