Heads of Asbestos Coordination Authorities (HACA)
The Heads of Asbestos Coordination Authorities (HACA) works to improve the management, monitoring and response to asbestos issues in NSW by developing coordinated prevention programs.
As part of both the 2013-2016 State-Wide Asbestos Plan and the current Interim State-Wide Asbestos Plan a number initiatives have been implemented including:
- publishing an asbestos blueprint on the role and responsibilities of state and local government staff
- Publishing a model asbestos policy for local councils with an updated edition to be released soon
- development of a suite of guidance material on a range of asbestos topics including:
- an annual public awareness campaign to both promote the safe handling of asbestos during home renovations and maintenance and to help prevent asbestos related diseases.
The Heads of Asbestos Coordination Authorities (HACA) is chaired by SafeWork NSW, with representatives from:
- Department of Industry
- Department of Planning and Environment
- Department of Premier and Cabinet
- Environment Protection Authority
- Fire and Rescue NSW
- Local Government NSW
- Ministry of Health
- Office of Emergency Management
- Office of Local Government
- Dust Diseases Authority
- SafeWork NSW
This reports outline the work that has been undertaken by the HACA in 2014/2015.