Fit testing and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
The PPE you will need prior to commencing asbestos removal is listed below and should be worn in this order:
- Disposable asbestos coveralls rated type 5, category 3 (allow one or two sizes larger for ease of fit)
- Steel – capped rubber-soled work shoes or gumboots with no laces or
- Disposable overshoes that have an anti-slip sole for placement over work shoes
- Single use disposable nitrile or latex gloves (nitrile is preferred as they are stronger)
- Face Mask
- Non- Friable asbestos work - P2 class, negative pressure respirator
- Friable asbestos work – P3 class, full face respirator
- Protective eye-wear (if not wearing a full face mask)
You must get fit tested to ensure your mask fits correctly with proper seals to prevent exposure to asbestos.
When wearing respiratory protection, you need to be clean shaven to ensure a proper seal between your face and mask to protect you from breathing in asbestos fibres.
Asbestos workers with beards, stubble or facial hair, should use a continuous flow positive pressure respirator.
For more information on PPE see the SafeWork Australia video