Rolling truck crush fatality (24 June 2019)
A 58-year-old truck driver was fatally injured at a waste recycling facility at Camellia when, after exiting the cabin of a truck, he was pinned between the cabin and the door of the truck as it rolled into concrete blocks.
- SafeWork NSW inspectors responded to the incident.
- SafeWork NSW has commenced an investigation to determine the cause and circumstances of the incident.
Businesses must consider ‘reasonably practicable’ control measures to manage the risk of uncontrolled movements (roll away) of vehicles, including cars, trucks, buses, vans, forklifts, tractors, mobile cranes etc.
- Park the vehicle on level ground. Where it is not reasonably practicable to park the vehicle on level ground, be aware of the limitations of the vehicle including the maximum slope of the supporting surface and what to do when parking on a gradient.
- Always apply the parking brake when exiting the vehicle.
- Ensure the vehicle is inspected and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Be familiar with the components and limitations of the braking system that may cause unintentional or unintentional release of the brakes.
- Consider implementing aftermarket controls that minimise the risk of uncontrolled movement of vehicles, (eg include seat sensor interlocked brakes or fail safe braking systems).
- Where it is not reasonably practicable to employ engineering controls, implement lower level controls such as alarm systems and/or operating procedures.
- When acquiring vehicles, consider models and options that eliminate or minimise the risk of uncontrolled movement.
- Develop site specific parking locations and procedures in consultation with workers.
- Ensure workers have the necessary training, experience and supervision to identify hazards to control the risks associated with the uncontrolled movement of vehicles.
- Routinely monitor and review all control measures.
You can also refer to the following guidance materials:
- Working with or around mobile plant
- Code of Practice – Managing the risks of plant in the workplace
- Uncontrolled movement of vehicles safety alert | SafeWork NSW