Substation explosion (9 December 2019)
Date of incident: 9 December 2019
Two workers suffered serious burns when a ring main unit (RMU) exploded while they were working on an electrical power distribution system in Port Macquarie.
- SafeWork NSW inspectors responded to the incident.
- SafeWork NSW commenced an investigation to determine the cause and circumstances of the incident.
Consider ‘reasonably practicable’ control measures to manage the risks when working with electricity. Make sure:
- work within an electricity substation and on high-voltage equipment is only performed by trained and authorised staff trained under a safety management system defined by the asset owner/operator
- the electricity network operator (ENO) has a safety management system that meets the requirements of the Electricity Supply (safety and network management) Regulation 2014
- the owner/operator of other high-voltage installations complies with the NSW service and installation rules and requirements of the ENO supplying the installation.
- IPART safety alert 191209-1
- Electrical work guidance material
- SafeWork NSW electrical safety video
- Code of practice for managing electrical risks in the workplace