Landfill crush injury (27 May 2019)
Two workers were buried under a pile of landfill when an industrial compactor (weighing approximately 55 tonne) was moving material at a waste management facility in Eastern Creek. One worker was fatally injured and the other worker was taken to hospital with serious crush injuries.
- SafeWork NSW inspectors responded to the incident.
- SafeWork NSW has commenced an investigation to determine the cause and circumstances of the incident.
Our Prosecution Guidelines (January 2018) outline our approach to prosecutions and Safe Work Australia’s National Compliance and Enforcement Policy provides guidance on their approach to compliance. These documents set out factors that will be considered in determining the investigative approach and appropriate outcome.
Businesses are reminded of their duty to identify hazards and manage risks to health and safety in accordance with the provisions of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 and Work Health and Safety Regulation 2017.
Businesses must consider reasonably practicable’ control measures to manage the risk to pedestrians working near mobile plant. These measures include:
- identifying traffic hazards in consultation with workers and plant operators where mobile plant is in use and contact with pedestrians may occur
- eliminating risks by designing separation systems
- scheduling work so plant and people are not working in the same area at the same time
- separating pedestrians from moving plant and vehicles using bollards, barriers, safety rails and exclusion zones
- using audible and visible alarms to identify moving plant (eg reversing alarm, flashing lights)
- establishing traffic flow patterns, developing right of way procedures, providing signage and implementing speed limits
- using spotters or dedicated traffic controllers who are always in sight of the plant operator
- having clear and effective communication systems in place
- restricting access to essential personnel only
- using high-visibility garments.
You can also refer to the following guidance materials:
- Moving plant on construction sites code of practice
- Workplace traffic management guidance material - Safe Work Australia
- Safe movement of vehicles at workplaces guidance note – Commerce WA
- Working around mobile plant during construction of roadworks and infrastructure - Work Safe QLD