Side-by-side vehicle fatality (20 October 2019)
Date of incident: 20 October 2019
A male farmer sustained fatal crush injuries when the side-by-side vehicle (SSV) he was operating rolled on a farm in Kybeyan.
Caption: Side-by-side vehicle involved in the incident.
- SafeWork NSW inspectors responded to the incident.
- SafeWork NSW commenced an investigation to determine the cause and circumstances of the incident.
Businesses are reminded of their duty to identify hazards and manage risks to health and safety in accordance with the provisions of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 and Work Health and Safety Regulation 2017.
Businesses must implement ‘reasonably practicable’ control measures to manage the risks associated with operating a side-by-side vehicle, including
- doing a side-by-side vehicle driving course
- driving at a speed that’s suitable for the conditions
- wearing a seatbelt and helmet
- maintaining the vehicle in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
You can also refer to the following guidance materials: