Fatal fall in carpark - 19 February 2020
Incident information release
An 80-year-old man fell in the carpark of a supermarket in western NSW after appearing to trip on a piece of plywood, lying at the rear of a ute.
The man suffered an injury to the left side of his head and died in hospital a week after the fall.
The site just before incident happened. Note plywood at rear of ute.
Consider ‘reasonably practicable’ control measures to manage the risks associated with working in public areas.
Make sure you:
- prepare a safe work zone in consultation with the client, principal contractor and subcontractor
- work zones don’t obstruct safe access to public areas
- fence and identify your work area from general public areas
- use appropriate signage
- use alternate pedestrian access, if required, with signs
- materials are contained within your isolated work zone
- good housekeeping practices are maintained in and around the work zone
- serious incidents and near misses are immediately reported to the site controller
- serious incidents are reported to us
- contact ambulance and police, if required.