Telehandler fatality – 12 November 2019
A 24-year-old man was killed near Gundagai after being hit by the boom of a telehandler, while riding outside the cabin.
- SafeWork NSW inspectors responded to the incident.
- SafeWork NSW commenced an investigation to determine the cause and circumstances of the incident.
Consider ‘reasonably practicable’ control measures to manage the risks associated with working on, or near, mobile plant. Control measures include:
- not carrying passengers unless the plant is equipped to do so
- wearing a seatbelt
- putting exclusion zones around the plant when it’s operating
- having safe systems of work for the operation of the plant item
- training workers in the use of the plant item
- maintaining the plant according to manufacturer’s recommendations
- doing appropriate inspections – for cranes, follow AS2550.
- Code of practice – Managing the risk of plant in the workplace
- Code of practice – Moving plant on construction sites
- Safety alert – Working with or around mobile plant
- Plant: Your health and safety guide – WorkSafe Victoria