Norco Co-operative Limited
On 25 July 2013, a worker employed by Norco was trapped inside a garbage compactor whilst attempting to re-position loose tie strings.
Section 19(1) of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 (WHS Act), as a person with health and safety obligations prescribed under Section 32 of the WHS Act.
Summary of undertaking
Activities Norco will undertake include:
- conducting Executive work health and safety workshops
- developing online Work Health and Safety and Human Resources induction modules for staff
- implementing a Human Resources Information System with Work Health and Safety and Training modules;
- updating and publishing “Managing Dairy Farm Safety” farmer resources
- developing a two part Farm Safety for Children video, and
- committing to establishing and maintaining an accredited occupational health and safety management system and third party audits of this system.
This undertaking has a total expenditure of $221,636.
Reasons for accepting the undertaking
- The alleged contravention does not appear to be a section 31 Reckless conduct category 1 offence, which if it was the case, would preclude the proposed undertaking from being accepted.
- The nature of the alleged contravention and the actions taken by Norco in response to the incident are assessed as being appropriate for consideration of an undertaking.
- The strategies proposed in the undertaking have been assessed as likely to deliver long term sustainable safety improvements in the workplace, industry and community.
- The undertaking addresses the requirements contained within the “Enforceable Undertakings – Guidelines for Proposing a WHS Undertaking”.
23 April 2015
26 September 2018