Health Administration Corporation
Between 12 and 24 October 2012, when six electrical workers, ranging from 19 to 45 years of age, were exposed to risk of inhalation of airborne asbestos fibres without respiratory protection from damaged asbestos lagging whilst installing electrical cables in the subfloor space of building 30 Royal North Shore (Public) Hospital (RNSH).
Clauses 419(1), 427(1), 448 and 449 of the Work Health and Safety Regulation 2011 (WHS Regulation), as a person with health and safety obligations prescribed under Section 32 of the WHS Act.
Summary of undertaking
Activities the Health Administration Corporation will undertake include:
- Inclusion of a Trigger Action Response Plan/Escalation Plan in all construction contracts used in HAC’s business;
- Conducting ‘start up’ workshops focused on work health and safety risks with HAC’s contractors involved in the construction and maintenance of health facilities;
- An annual forum addressing key work health and safety risks arising in connection with HAC’s business;
- Providing the case studies developed for the forums to the broader industry and community, and
- Publishing articles in the Northern Sydney Times about the risks of asbestos to raise awareness in the Northern Sydney Community (this will also include an advertisement for the Bunnings DIY sessions which form part of the EU accepted by the Northern Sydney Local Health District).
This undertaking has a total expenditure of $159,000.00.
Reasons for accepting the undertaking
- The alleged contravention does not appear to be a section 31 Reckless conduct category 1 offence, which if it was the case, would preclude the proposed undertaking from being accepted
- The nature of the alleged contravention and the actions taken by the Health Administration Corporation in response to the incident are assessed as being appropriate for consideration of an undertaking
- The strategies proposed in the undertaking have been assessed as likely to deliver long term sustainable safety improvements in the workplace, industry and community
- The undertaking addresses the requirements contained within the “Enforceable Undertakings – Guidelines for Proposing a WHS Undertaking”.
1 July 2016
28 May 2019
View the Health Administration Corporation enforceable undertaking.