Punchbowl Bus Co. Pty Ltd
On 3 February 2016, an employee of Punchbowl Bus Co Pty Ltd attempted to stop a runaway bus on Park Road, Hurstville. The employee was crushed between the runaway bus and the rear of another bus parked in front. The employee suffered fatal injuries.
Punchbowl Bus Co Pty Ltd contravened section 19(1) and 32 of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011.
Summary of undertaking
Activities Punchbowl Bus Co Pty Ltd will undertake include:
- trialling safety technology in its fleet of buses
- developing industry publications regarding relevant safety messages
- present at BusNSW’s regional seminars across northern, southern and western New South Wales on the issue of runaway buses, interlock brakes and proactive safety initiatives undertaken by Punchbowl Bus Co, and
- install safety messages on five of its buses for a period of two years.
This undertaking has a total expenditure of $264,800.
Reasons for accepting the undertaking
- The alleged contravention does not appear to be a section 31 Reckless conduct category 1 offence, which if it was the case, would preclude the proposed undertaking from being accepted.
- The nature of the alleged contravention and the actions taken by Punchbowl Bus Co Pty Ltd in response to the incident are assessed as being appropriate for consideration of an undertaking.
- The strategies proposed in the undertaking have been assessed as likely to deliver long term sustainable safety improvements in the workplace, industry and community.
- The undertaking addresses the requirements contained within the “Enforceable Undertakings – Guidelines for Proposing a WHS Undertaking”.
16 June 2020
View the full Punchbowl Bus Co Pty Ltd undertaking.