Lendlease Building Pty Ltd
On 8 November 2016 workers were lifting an elevated work platform using a crane at the Barangaroo South construction site. The steel grillage the crane was positioned on buckled causing the crane mast and its framing to bend over.
Lendlease Building Pty Ltd contravened sections 19(1), 19(2) and 32 of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011.
Summary of undertaking
Activities Lendlease Building Pty Ltd will undertake include:
- Development of a model Tower Crane Procurement Specification for the procurement of new and used tower cranes, which identifies features and enhancements that can improve the operation and overall safety of a tower crane and its operations.
- Provide monetary and in-kind funding for research into better understanding the use of Building Information Modelling (BIM) for work health and safety risk management, including the barriers, enablers, benefits and limitations of BIM.
This undertaking has a total expenditure of $770,000.
Reasons for accepting the undertaking
- The alleged contravention does not appear to be a section 31 Reckless conduct category 1 offence, which if it was the case, would preclude the proposed undertaking from being accepted
- The nature of the alleged contravention and the actions taken by Lendlease Building Pty Ltd in response to the incident are assessed as being appropriate for consideration of an undertaking
- The strategies proposed in the undertaking have been assessed as likely to deliver long term sustainable safety improvements in the workplace, industry and community
- The undertaking addresses the requirements contained within the “Enforceable Undertakings – Guidelines for Proposing a WHS Undertaking”.
30 March 2020
View the full Lendlease Building Pty Ltd undertaking.