Lawson Grains Pty Ltd (Lawson Grains)
On 24 May 2017, there was an incident at a property at Borambil, New South Wales. Four employees of Lawson grains were working on a fertiliser spreader attached to a tractor when the linkage arm connecting the two failed resulting in the spreader falling backwards onto an employee causing serious injuries. Another employee who was inside the spreader was thrown out of the spreader bucket and onto the ground causing injuries.
Lawson Grains contravened section 19(1) and 32 of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011.
Summary of undertaking
Activities Lawson Grains Pty Ltd will undertake include:
- Implementing Safety Culture programs for Lawson Grains NSW based staff including four safety program toolkits, Safety Culture Zero Incident Process (ZIP) refresher and full program workshops, and updating the Lawson Grains WHS induction module with Safety Culture concepts and language
- Providing Risk Assessment Training aimed at Lawson Grains NSW Farm Managers, Operations Managers and Assistant Farm Managers, and developing 9 audio visual Safe Operating Procedures
- Engaging an external WHS auditor to undertake a targeted audit of certain tractor combinations that use tow hitches and three-point linkages
- Printing and distributing approximately 30,000 copies of the A to Z Farm Safety Guide to small to medium PCBUs in the agriculture sector of New South Wales
- Deliver a farm safety campaign via television, radio and social media outlets which will promote silo safety
This undertaking has a total expenditure of $398,171.
Reasons for accepting the undertaking
- The alleged contravention does not appear to be a section 31 Reckless conduct category 1 offence, which if it was the case, would preclude the proposed undertaking from being accepted
- The nature of the alleged contravention and the actions taken by Lawson Grains in response to the incident are assessed as being appropriate for consideration of an undertaking
- The strategies proposed in the undertaking have been assessed as likely to deliver long term sustainable safety improvements in the workplace, industry and community
- The undertaking addresses the requirements contained within the “Enforceable Undertakings – Guidelines for Proposing a WHS Undertaking”.
7 July 2020
View the full Lawson Grains undertaking (PDF 1.9MB).