Inghams Enterprises Pty Limited
On 1 December 2016 a worker at the Ingham’s site located at Prestons, NSW, was working in the weigh label room stacking and adjusting pallets containing chicken products. The worker was injured as a result of being trapped by a robot in a robotic cell.
Inghams Enterprises Pty Ltd contravened section 19(1) and 32 of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011.
Summary of undertaking
Activities Inghams Enterprises Pty Ltd will undertake include:
- Development and Implementation of an electronic platform for a Work Health and Safety Management System designed for use in Ingham’s agri-business operations;
- An initiative to share the learnings from the incident and the process for developing the electronic platform for the Work Health and Safety Management System with industry;
- Development of a video to promote SafeWork NSW’s Participative Ergonomics for Manual Tasks (PErforM) Program; and
- Partnering with a creative advertising organisation to develop a public awareness campaign regarding musculoskeletal disorders.
This undertaking has a total expenditure of $499,000.
Reasons for accepting the undertaking
- The alleged contravention does not appear to be a section 31 Reckless conduct category 1 offence, which if it was the case, would preclude the proposed undertaking from being accepted
- The nature of the alleged contravention and the actions taken by Inghams Enterprises Pty Ltd in response to the incident are assessed as being appropriate for consideration of an undertaking
- The strategies proposed in the undertaking have been assessed as likely to deliver long term sustainable safety improvements in the workplace, industry and community
- The undertaking addresses the requirements contained within the “Enforceable Undertakings – Guidelines for Proposing a WHS Undertaking”.
20 April 2020