ABC Tissue Products Pty Ltd
On 17 August 2016, an employee of ABC Tissue Products Pty Ltd sustained serious hand injuries whilst operating a tissue making machine, at a Redfern Street premises in Wetherill Park.
ABC Tissue Products Pty Ltd contravened section 19(1) and 32 of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011.
Summary of undertaking
Activities ABC Tissue Products Pty Ltd will undertake include:
- an external consultant to review their existing traffic management plan and implementation of recommendations;
- engage an external training organisation to conduct English lessons with a work context, for approximately 250 production staff;
- engage an external consultant to review the guarding on 24 production lines at its Wetherill Park site, including implementing any improvements;
- develop a safety leadership program in consultation with SafeWork NSW, aimed at raising the standard of safety leadership and improving safety culture in the manufacturing sector; and
- develop a community awareness program in consultation with SafeWork NSW, targeted at linguistically diverse workers, to increase awareness of workers’ WHS rights and responsibilities and resources that SafeWork NSW can provide.
This undertaking has a total expenditure of $1,474,075.
Reasons for accepting the undertaking
- The alleged contravention does not appear to be a section 31 Reckless conduct category 1 offence, which if it was the case, would preclude the proposed undertaking from being accepted
- The nature of the alleged contravention and the actions taken by ABC Tissue Products Pty Ltd in response to the incident are assessed as being appropriate for consideration of an undertaking
- The strategies proposed in the undertaking have been assessed as likely to deliver long term sustainable safety improvements in the workplace, industry and community
- The undertaking addresses the requirements contained within the “Enforceable Undertakings – Guidelines for Proposing a WHS Undertaking”.
25 June 2020