Nupress Tools Pty Ltd
On 26 May 2015 a worker was seriously injured while using a manual lathe to linish and polish a cylindrical stainless-steel rod known as a 'dropper rod'.
Section 19(1) of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011, as a person with health and safety obligations prescribed under Section 32.
Summary of undertaking
Activities Nupress Tools Pty Ltd will undertake to:
- Participate in a work, health and safety (WHS) audit and improvement program.
- Implement a training program for supervisors and managers on WHS, leadership and cross-cultural / generational awareness, as well as implement a cross-cultural awareness project to enhance engagement and understanding of WHS with workers who speak English as a second language (ESL).
- Design and manufacture a tool to safely polish / linish on a manual lathe, including developing a promotional video and instructional resources.
- Sponsor an award at the Hunter Manufacturing Awards to promote manual lathe safety awareness, the incident, and access to the tool / resources.
- Participate in and purchase a stand at the National Manufacturing Week Conference to promote manual lathe safety awareness, the incident, and access to the tool / resources.
- Develop and promote ESL safety resources in three different languages addressing hazard awareness, risk management and safety when using machines with moving parts.
- Provide the tool, instructional resources and ESL safety resources to Men’s Sheds throughout the Hunter, Central Coast and New England regions.
This undertaking has a total expenditure of $387,085.
Reasons for accepting the undertaking
- The alleged contravention does not appear to be a section 31 Reckless conduct category 1 offence, which if it was the case, would preclude the proposed undertaking from being accepted.
- The nature of the alleged contravention and the actions taken by Nupress Tools Pty Ltd in response to the incident are assessed as being appropriate for consideration of an undertaking.
- The strategies proposed in the undertaking have been assessed as likely to deliver long term sustainable safety improvements in the workplace, industry and community.
- The undertaking addresses the requirements contained within the Enforceable Undertakings Guidelines.
4 June 2019
View the full Nupress Tools Pty Ltd enforceable undertaking.