Delta Pty Limited
On 13 November 2017, during deconstruction of a concrete encased beam and supporting columns on a site in Circular Quay, a concrete beam fell and struck the external scaffold causing damage and creating a risk of scaffold collapse.
Section 19(1) of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 (WHS Act) as a person with health and safety obligations prescribed under Section 32.
Summary of the undertaking
Activities Delta Pty Limited will undertake include:
- establishing a national QSE/WHS steering committee
- undertaking a workforce safety survey and training needs analysis
- developing and implementing a front line supervisor training and mentoring program
- funding and staging a crystalline silica symposium in collaboration with SafeWork NSW.
Reasons for accepting the undertaking
- The alleged contravention does not appear to be a Section 31: reckless conduct category 1 offence, which would otherwise preclude the proposed undertaking from being accepted.
- The nature of the alleged contravention and the actions taken by Delta Pty Limited in response to the incident are assessed as being appropriate for consideration of an undertaking.
- The strategies proposed in the undertaking have been assessed as likely to deliver long term sustainable safety improvements in the workplace, industry and community.
- The undertaking addresses the requirements contained within the SafeWork NSW enforceable undertakings guidelines.
This undertaking has a total expenditure of $916,000.
13 June 2019
View the full Delta Pty Limited enforceable undertaking.