BGIS Pty Ltd
5 August 2019
On 3 August 2016, a contractor engaged to perform work for a BGIS client in Sydney CBD was cleaning a roof and gutters. There was no fall protection in place. The contractor slipped and fell seven metres to the ground.
Contravention of section 19(1) of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 (the Act), as a person with health and safety obligations prescribed under section 32 of the Act.
Summary of the undertaking
The undertaking requires the following activities:
- development of an integrated vendor portal
- financial support for a contractor safety app created by SafeWork NSW
- a presentation at an industry forum about lessons learnt
- employment of a young and vulnerable worker who is completing studies in an area relevant to operational safety.
Reasons for accepting the undertaking
- The alleged contravention does not appear to be a section 31 Reckless conduct category 1 offence, which if it was the case, would preclude the proposed undertaking from being accepted.
- The nature of the alleged contravention and the actions taken by BGIS Pty Ltd in response to the incident are assessed as appropriate for consideration of an undertaking.
- The strategies proposed in the undertaking have been assessed as likely to deliver long term sustainable safety improvements in the workplace, industry and community.
- The undertaking addresses the requirements contained within the Enforceable undertakings guidelines.
This undertaking has a total expenditure of $1,350,000.
View the full BGIS Pty Ltd enforceable undertaking.