Brookfield Multiplex Constructions Pty Limited
An enforceable undertaking (EU) with Brookfield Multiplex Constructions Pty Limited (Brookfield) on the SafeWork NSW
On 14 January 2013, a worker was injured when he was hit by a steel beam whilst he was in a scissor lift, assisting with the installation of an awning.
Section 19(1) of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011.
Summary of undertaking
Activities Brookfield will undertake include:
- Develop a draft practical guide to the safe erection of multi-element steel structures' consistent with the Australian Steel Institute Structural Steelwork Fabrication and Erection Code of Practice (2014), which will be distributed across the business throughout Australia.
- Apply the Safework Australia best practice guidance for developing and mapping a safety intervention and utilise the map to develop process and outcomes measures to monitor the implementation of the enforceable undertaking intervention.
- Distribute the 'Practical guide to the safe erection of multi-element steel structures' across the business throughout Australia.
- Develop and Implement a training video summarising the process detailed in the 'Practical guide to the safe erection of multi-element steel structures'.
- Conduct due diligence refresher training for executive groups.
- Conduct a critical review of 'A draft practical guide to the safe erection of multi-element steel structures'.
- Share the 'Practical guide to the safe erection of multi-element steel structures' with industry.
- Make training materials and resources freely available.
- Present a paper at the Australian Steel Institute National Convention and provide support for a separate Fabricator/Detailer session.
- Fund WHS education scholarships at Wollongong and Newcastle Universities.
This undertaking has a total expenditure of $418,425.
Reasons for accepting the undertaking
- the alleged contravention does not appear to be a section 31 Reckless conduct category 1 offence, which if it was the case, would preclude the proposed undertaking from being accepted
- the nature of the alleged contravention and the actions taken by Brookfield in response to the incident are assessed as being appropriate for consideration of an undertaking
- the strategies proposed in the undertaking have been assessed as likely to deliver long term sustainable safety improvements in the workplace, industry and community
- the undertaking addresses the requirements contained within the “Enforceable Undertakings – Guidelines for Proposing a WHS Undertaking”.
2 October 2015
Date variation accepted
20 April 2016
29 May 2018
View the variation to the accepted enforceable undertaking dated 20 April 2016.