Manufactured Stone - Silica Safety Rebate
The Manufactured Stone - Silica Safety Rebate Program offers up to $1000 to help manufactured stone fabrication businesses to implement solutions that address exposure to silica dust in their workplace.
Who can apply?
Manufactured stone benchtop fabrication businesses in NSW.
What you need to do
- Review the list of eligible items below and the FAQs.
- Purchase your solution from the approved eligible items list.
- Complete the application form and include copies of your tax invoices and receipts when you email your application.
- Email the completed form (and attachments) to email@example.com for assessment.
|Installation of adequate ventilation, exhaust or extraction systems||Where modifications are required by legislation to be installed by a licensed installer eg electrician, plumber. Installation must be certified, and appropriate certification provided to SafeWork NSW|
|Power tools with dust capture attachments||Attachments to existing machinery are eligible|
Power tools with water supply attachments||Attachments to existing compressed air systems are eligible|
Hazardous dust vacuum cleaners class ‘M’ or ‘H’ compliant with AS 60335.2.69: reissued 2017||Must provide supplier validation that the equipment complies with this specification.|
|Powered Air Purifying Respirator (PAPRs) including filters||A hood or head top type, full face powered air purifying respirator (PAPR) with at least a P2 filter (certified to AS/NZS AS 1716).|
|Respirator fit-testing unit (including fit test solution)||The appropriate method of fit-testing must meet AS/NZS1715:2009. It is recommended that the business owner receive training on use of the Fit – Test kit from the supplier.|
Clamp setting tools||Used to transport pre-fabricated cooktops and sink tops to reduce damage during transport to installation sites|
There are a number of excluded items from the Manufactured Stone Silica Safety Rebate program. They include:
- GST, freight and insurance costs
- improvements made / bought prior to the commencement of the Manufactured Stone Silica Safety Rebate Scheme October 2017
- solutions that have already received rebates from another SafeWork NSW safety initiative or rebate program
- service or repairs or maintenance personal protection equipment other than equipment listed on the prescribed list for the purposes of this rebate
- infringement activities, penalties or fees
- licensing and certification or training
- diagnostic testing or auditing services (including consultants)
- return-to-work, rehabilitation
- operational items - regular tools of trade and equipment
- design or manufacture of new items or purchase of second-hand items and services that are not purchased from a registered business ABN/ACN/BRN, and do not meet all relevant standards, approvals, local government and legislative requirements.
- raw materials – eg timber or other construction materials, fixings.
For further information about the Manufactured Stone Silica Safety Rebate program call 13 10 50 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the Manufactured Stone - Silica Safety Rebate?
The Manufactured Stone - Silica Safety Rebate Program offers up to $1000 to help businesses that fabricate benchtops with manufactured stone adopt solutions to address exposure to silica dust in their workplaces.
Why do we offer the Manufactured Stone - Silica Safety Rebate?
SafeWork NSW provides this rebate to help NSW businesses that work with manufactured stone to reduce the risk of exposure to silica dust in their workplaces.
Under NSW legislation, an employer has obligations to address safety risks and control these as effectively as possible. SafeWork NSW will look closely to check you have chosen the solution with the highest chance of solving your problem.
How much is the rebate for?
Eligible businesses that fabricate benchtops with manufactured stone can receive up to a maximum of $1000 towards the cost of purchasing and installing eligible safety solution/s in their workplace. For example:
- if you have a solution that totals $250 then you will receive $250
- if you have many (different) eligible solutions that total $495 you will receive $495
- if you have one or many (different) eligible solutions that total $2,800 you will receive $1000.
The rebate does not cover GST, freight or insurance.
How many rebates can be claimed?
One. A business owner can only apply for the rebate once irrespective of the number, name, registration or NSW location of individual businesses/ABNs they own.
However, businesses can claim for more than one eligible safety solution in their application. For example, you could purchase a number of eligible safety solutions and include all invoices in your one rebate application. Maximum rebate is up to $1000.
Am I eligible for a rebate?
Yes, you are if you:
- are the owner of a business that fabricate benchtops with manufactured stone and have a current registered ABN for the business you are claiming for
- have had a silica visit from a SafeWork Inspector
- identify an eligible safety item(s) (see above) that addresses your safety risks
- purchase your item(s) and get a paid tax invoice and receipt for payment in full (or proof of payment)
- complete and submit the application via email to email@example.com
- attach copies of your tax invoice(s) and receipt / proof of purchase to the application.
Who is NOT eligible for a Manufactured Stone- Silica Safety Rebate?
- Businesses where their primary work is not the fabrication of benchtops with Manufactured Stone.
- Businesses that fabricate benchtops with manufactured stone not currently conducting a business that is producing or providing goods and/or services in NSW.
- Businesses that fabricate benchtops with manufactured stone that are insolvent at date of application.
- Businesses that fabricate benchtops with manufactured stone not registered in NSW.
- Businesses that work with manufactured stone not within the scope of the NSW WHS legislation.
- If you or a relative are the supplier of the goods/service.
- If you’re employed by the supplier of the goods/service.
- Have any legal interest in the supplier or the goods/service.
- Government agencies or businesses that fabricate benchtops with manufactured stone claiming on behalf of another business eg agents or consultants lodging applications on behalf of their clients.
- Investment trust, managed fund, strata title scheme, subsidiary of a larger business, voluntary or religious organisations.
- SafeWork NSW employees and contractors.
- Businesses that work with manufactured stone claiming for more than one business/ABN.
- Businesses that work with manufactured stone that have already claimed the Manufactured Stone - Silica Safety Rebate. A business owner can only apply for the rebate once, irrespective of the number of businesses he/she may own.
- Items purchased to comply with a compliance notice issued by SafeWork NSW.
Safety rebates do not cover:
- GST, freight and insurance costs
- the design and manufacture of new safety items or items that you have had designed and manufactured to your specifications. Items must be existing manufactured items that meet relevant standards and available from commercial outlets
- items that have been leased, or purchased through a payment plan, or owner-built items
- purchase of raw materials, for example making shelves from wood, nails, screws
- service repairs or maintenance eg engine and motors
- computers or software systems
- sponsorship arrangements, including funding of events, educational programs or materials, advertising, or consultants
- normal business operating expenses, including general business administration, computers, housekeeping, amenities, assets/equipment, repairs, maintenance, servicing
- normal safety requirements including licensing, certification, fines, testing and auditing services, return-to-work, rehabilitation, counselling or vaccination services
- training fees or courses – training needs to be reinforced with safety tools eg knowledge of manual handling needs to be supported with the right manual handling equipment or modifications to the work environment in order to have greatest impact on injuries
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) other than equipment listed on the prescribed list for the purposes of this rebate
- backdated improvements - improvements made / bought prior to the commencement of the Manufactured Stone Silica Safety Rebate Scheme
- domestic, recreational or social products or equipment including items for home-based businesses that may be deemed as being used for domestic/household purposes or contributing to the value of residential assets
- items and services that are not purchased from a registered business ABN/CAN/BRN and do not meet all relevant standards, approvals, local government and legislative requirements
- non-tangible items - safety solutions need to have a direct impact on safety, and clear eligibility criteria in order to approve and process rebate payments. Psychosocial items for stress, behavioural issues etc can be subjective and are difficult to assess and measure.
I am an interstate business providing goods and services in NSW. Am I eligible for the rebate?
No – businesses that fabricate benchtops with manufactured stone must be registered in NSW, come under the scope of NSW WHS laws and be producing goods or services in NSW.
I am a Sole Trader working in a shared manufactured stone fabrication workplace - can I apply for the rebate?
You are eligible if you have an individual ABN and meet all other requirements and are registered in NSW.
Are there other rebates available if I don’t qualify for this rebate / I am not a manufactured stone fabrication site?
Yes, you may be eligible for the small businesses rebate. For more information and to confirm eligibility criteria please visit the Small Business rebate web page.
How can I make sure my safety item is eligible for a rebate?
If you are unsure if your safety solution will qualify for a rebate you can:
- refer to the list of eligible safety items (see above)
- contact SafeWork NSW on 13 10 50, or
- email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What risk does the item need to cover?
There is a wide range of eligible safety equipment available under this program. The safety item needs to be on the below list:
- mechanical ventilation equipment such as dust exhaust or extraction systems
- power tools with a water supply or dust capture attachments
- hazardous dust vacuum cleaners with dust class level ‘M’ or ‘H’ and compliant with AS 60335.2.69:
- Powered Air Purifying Respirator (PAPRs)
- respirator fit-testing unit
- clamp setting tools.
Refer to the list of eligible safety items (see above).
Can I claim for an item I bought, before the start of the rebate?
No, eligible safety items must be purchased after the 30 September 2017.
Can I apply for the rebate before I have the safety item?
No. You need to have paid for and received the item before applying for the rebate.
Can I apply for more than one safety item?
Yes, eligible businesses can claim for more than one safety solution at the same time but can only apply for this rebate once, irrespective of the number, name, registration or NSW location of individual businesses/ABNs that they own. The maximum eligible one-off Manufactured Stone rebate is $1,000 total per business.
Can I combine rebate amounts to purchase a safety item?
A business cannot combine different rebates (if available) to purchase one safety item.
A supplier cannot split the cost of an individual safety item into multiple invoices to enable different businesses to claim multiple rebates against that one item eg. receiving 3 x $500 against an item that cost $1500.
The rebate is not available for solutions that have already benefitted from another SafeWork NSW safety initiative or rebate (ie duplicate payment for same invoice).
Can I also apply for the SafeWork Small business rebate?
Yes, eligible small businesses can apply for the small business rebate in addition to the Manufactured Stone Silica Safety rebate. As per above you cannot combine both rebates to purchase one item. For more information on the small business rebate and to confirm eligibility criteria please visit the Small Business rebate web page.
My supplier has ordered my goods. They haven’t arrived yet. Can I still apply for the rebate?
No, you cannot apply for the rebate unless you have the item in your workplace, it is paid for in full, and, installation (if needed) is complete.
Does SafeWork NSW recommend any safety suppliers?
SafeWork does not endorse or promote any individual safety product or service or provide an unfair competitive advantage to any commercial safety item, product or service.
What safety items can home-based businesses claim for?
The rebate does not cover domestic, recreational or social products or equipment.
Items for home-based businesses that may be used for domestic/household purposes or contribute to the value of residential assets – such as fixtures, are not covered. A home-based business is a business whose primary office or place of work is in the owner’s residential home.
Can I claim an item not listed on the rebate eligible items list?
No, only the listed items are eligible (see above). The Manufactured Stone - Silica Safety Rebate program seeks to address high risk hazards associated with exposure to silica dust and is not intended to cover every safety item or solution. Business owners are obliged to manage all safety risks in their workplace.
Does the rebate cover eligible items that need to be installed?
Yes. If required by law, installation must be done by a licenced tradesperson, e.g. installation of electrical items must be carried out by a licenced electrical contractor and a Certificate of Compliance – Electrical Work must be provided.