Manufacturing and Transport
What you need to know
Most falls in manufacturing and transport, postal and warehousing are from trucks, ladders, steps and stairways, buildings and trailers and caravans.
The top five occupations are truck (and other) drivers, factory workers, storepersons, delivery drivers and technicians.
What you can do
- Perform work at ground level and take a ‘working from the ground’ approach when loading/unloading vehicles
- If you must work from a height, always manage the risk of a fall by using work platforms, rail systems, and edge protection including barriers and handrails
- Foster a workplace culture that encourages workers and managers to talk about safety issues in the workplace
- Remember: Nobody is built for impact.
- Truck and other drivers should always use three points of contact when getting in and out of your vehicle.
Where to get help
- Find out more about commons hazards that result in falls and action you can take in our falls safety guide
- Falls continue to be a serious problem in the manufacturing industry. Watch this falls in the manufacturing industry and hear stories and tips on how to stay safe
- All business across the supply chain need to work together to manage the risk of falls. Watch the below safety alerts on how to manage falls in and around trucks when loading and unloading
- Watch these video safety alerts on:
- View the incident information releases for industry
- Download the NoBody is Built for Impact poster for your workplace
- Not sure how to keep your workers safe? We can help, request an advisory visit.